Saturday 7 June 2014

Restoran Todak @ Johor Bahru, Malaysia.

Seafood dinner with a bunch of people, whats not to love. This place have a rustic feeling, on the stilts by the seaside facing Singapore's Sembawang shipyard.


Yups, they open for lunch as well, will check it out next time!


All the fresh seafood with price labels.



Check that out, mussels! I actually called for reservation for dinner (seriously pls call, because our table was just next to the sea view, the place is huge, and if you got a table smack in the centre, too noisy!), so when I did the reservation I ordered my dishes in advance, I totally forgot ordering mussels.



Crabs, it's one of those seafood dish you just have to order. A mate of mine actually said you can find better chilli crabs in Singapore, and he recommended the other styles to order. So we opted for 2 types of crabs, salted egg yolk (pic above and below) and black pepper crab.


And boy was he right, both styles was equally good. This place knows how to do their crabs.


One of the member in our party that night was allergic to shellfish. Luckily there was a guy on the side selling satay. Not bad to line up our palate.

Some vegetables to balance our dinner. Was good.

Prawns cooked in Indonesian curry claypot style. I had my doubts when I did the reservation and the lady on the other end recommended this. But she knows best, one of the best dishes for the night, prawns was fresh, and coupled with the man tous (steamed bun) to soak up the gravy, just excellent.


Siakap fish cooked in thai style, receipt stated its a seabass, I'm not good with fishes name, hence I normally tell them to bring out/recommend a fish. Another killer dish. Good stuff.


Some kerang/see hams/cockles. Huge, and when I meant huge, it's HUGE for one piece.


Some lalas.

The sotong (squids) was another star dish for the night.


They stock up lobsters and oysters as well.


The view from our table facing the Sembawang shipyard. Personally, I find all the food pretty good. I would expect a bit hit and misses, but I was surprised they did a good job. For a big restaurant with so many tables, I was pretty impressed they can manage to maintain a good standard for the seafood they serve, or was it maybe the products are fresh? Next time I'm in town, this place will definitely be on my radar.


Restoran Todak (Orang Asli),
No 1 Kampung Orang Asli,
Telok Jawa, Masai,
81750 Johor Bahru, Malaysia.

Tel +607 386 3696.

No comments:

Post a Comment